Come join us for a fun hike! HYP hikes will vary in difficulty level, so please take note of each hike’s difficulty level and plan accordingly. We will meet at the City Island parking lot next to the parking garage at 10 am for a carpool to Hawk Rock in Duncannon. You may also meet us there- we expect the carpoolers to arrive around 10:30/10:45. If meeting at Hawk Rock please ask Amy Moore for a google pin or specific directions as there is no “address” for the parking lot.
RSVP is strongly recommended so that you can be notified if hike must be canceled due to inclement weather.
RSVP by March 29, 2019, by emailing AmyMoore@howardhanna.com
- Length: Appx. 5 miles total
- Type: Out and back
- Difficulty: Moderate (see description below)
- Description: About 650 feet of elevation gain in the first .7 miles. Once we get up the mountain there will be a nice overlook to enjoy. We will then hit the AT (Appalachian Trail) and the rest of the hike will be a fairly level trail through the woods.
Remember to bring plenty of water and wear hiking boots (recommended but not required) or durable sneakers. Leashed dogs are welcome!
Optional- trekking poles, sunscreen, snacks
- Easiest – Suitable for those in fair condition. Elevation gain of fewer than 200 feet and less than 3 miles total.
- Easy – Suitable for people who have a basic fitness level. Elevation gain of fewer than 400 feet and less than 4 miles total.
- Moderate – Reasonably fit hikers who get out at least once a month should be able to do this level. This level would be considered easy for frequent hikers. Elevation gain of 500-1,000 feet and a maximum distance of 6 miles total.
- Challenging – Regular hiking experience is required to participate in hikes at this level. Elevation gain of more than 1,000 feet and 6 miles. Combination of significant elevation gain and long distance make this level a challenge for many.
- Very Difficult– Long distances and big elevation gains make this level. High fitness level is required because speed will be important to complete.