HYP Members, Friends, Partners and Supporters,
I hope everyone is having a happy, healthy and successful 2017. As we enter one of the most important weeks of the year for the organization, I wanted to take a quick look back at some of HYP’s recent accomplishments. In just four months, the 2017 HYP leadership and members have achieved a lot that we should be very proud of, and I’m excited to share. Here are a few of the highlights so far this year.
- Introduced our membership to the Gamut Theatre during our Annual Meeting with over 120 people in attendance.
- Hired a new Sports Coordinator in February who has already made big strides in improving HYP’s Sports leagues while managing record breaking participants in dodgeball, flag football, sand volleyball, bowling, and ultimate frisbee.
- Continued the longstanding tradition of the 19th Annual Forster Street Clean Up with over 50 volunteers who cleaned, mulched, cut hedges, and planted over 1 million seeds in the Forster Street median in early April.
- Held four successful CEO Roundtables with some of the region’s top leaders.
- Brought together 18 aspiring young professionals and 18 knowledgeable professionals to participate in HYP’s first 6 Degree Networking event as part of HYP’s new Professional Development Series.
An Important Week for HYP
This evening, HYP will have the honor of hosting the second Harrisburg Mayoral Debate at the Harrisburg Hilton. Through this debate, we aim to increase awareness of the opportunities, issues and challenges facing the city of Harrisburg. This event provides HYP with a chance to engage our 2500 members and sports participants, many of whom live in the city and will emerge as future leaders, in the democratic process of selecting our city’s leadership.
Following that event, the 19th consecutive year for the Harrisburg Young Professional’s Home Tour will be on Saturday. It also represents the first year that the organization will hold this event in the beautiful Harrisburg neighborhood of Bellevue Park. For 19 years, the HYP Home Tour has provided the opportunity to share a unique area of the city to our HYP members, friends, family, and supporters. This year, we are proud to partner with the Bellevue Park Association Board and the Bellevue Park residents to display their iconic homes and beautiful gardens and share the rich history of this part of the city.
Proceeds from the annual Home Tour benefit the HYP Home in the City Program. The Home in the City program generate countless opportunities to create new residents within the city and will help several HYP members purchase their first homes. The program provides $1,000 grants to qualified HYP members purchasing a home in the city of Harrisburg. Through 2016, HYP has granted $50,000+ to HYP members through Home in the City. Don’t wait, get your tickets now!
As HYP, we believe that events such as the Mayoral Debate and the Home Tour serve as a catalyst for continued and sustained growth for Harrisburg and the region. They also provide the opportunity to show why HYP continues to believe that Harrisburg is the ideal place to live, work, play, and retain future leaders.
There are so many events to look forward to this season with HYP! Here are just a few to put on your calendar:
- In June, HYP will be continuing our Italian Lake Concert Series with the Jayplayers on June 11.
- We will be welcoming Adam Vasquez, President & CEO of Sacunas, as he speaks at our CEO Roundtable on June 16.
- Happy Hour Socials will be hosted at the Café 1500, Hilton, Bacco, and JB Lovedrafts.
- Registration will be opening soon for HYP’s 5 Miler for 5 Charities race to be held on October 14.
- Finally, we will be kicking off (yes, that’s a pun!) our biggest kickball season yet with three leagues and nearly 60 teams! Yes, there is still time to register your team.
The HYP Board of Directors and I are excited for the rest of 2017 and all the great events that we have planned. I look forward to continue working with the region’s best young professionals. Thank you again for your support and participation and I hope to see you at one of upcoming events soon.
2017 HYP President